Registration for the 2017 tournament is now open!
Here's how it works:
30 teams pledge to fundraise on behalf of 826CHI's creative writing programs. Dollars raised will be used to purchase "cheats," which can be used during tournament games to decimate your opponents.
On Saturday, March 4th, after weeks of peer fundraising, teams will go head-to-head in a Scrabble tournament, using their hard-earned arsenal of cheats to win a series of 45-minute games. Champions take home a gloriously gaudy trophy and critical acclaim for eternity.
This year, we aim to raise $25,000. Every donation helps ensure that each of our 2,400+ students can attend our literary arts programs, 100% free-of-cost. All donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
Can we count on your trickery?
Questions? Email Tracy at email@example.com.
The tournament begins at noon. Championship round is at 5pm.
Location: WeWork, 20 West Kinzie Street, 17th floor, Chicago IL 60654
WeWork provides small businesses, startups, freelancers, large enterprises, and everyone in between with the workspace, community, and services they need to make a life, not just a living. With weekly events, personalized support, month-to-month flexibility, and access to over 80,000 like-minded creators around the world, WeWork is the perfect place to grow your business. Book your tour here!
- Each team pledges to raise a minimum of $150
- Each team must consist of 2 players.*
- Each team must have a team name.
- Each team must have an identifiable uniform on the day of the tournament (costumes are encouraged!).
- Each team must arrive by 11:00am on the day of the tournament.
- Cheats will be bought and issued on tournament day.
- Each cheat purchased may be used only once.
- Turns are timed at 2 minutes. Games are over at 45 minutes.
- Cheating is encouraged.
* If you're having trouble finding a teammate, don't fret. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and 826CHI will try its best to match you up with another independent player.
- $25: THE SWAP: Trade out a letter
Expository writing. One high school student gets virtual essay writing support for a whole year!
- $50: THE NON-CON: Buy a vowel
Brain food! Buy one week's worth of healthy snacks for 50 hungry After-School Tutoring and Writing students.
- $100: THE KOSHKA: Play a word in any non-English language
Quality! Train volunteers to effectively support our students in their needs.
- $150: THE AUGMENT: Add 10 pts to any letter to increase its value
Safety first! Train our staff in First Aid and CPR.
- $200: THE ALSORANS: Add Q, Z, or X to any word
Animal hybrids. Introduce first graders to imaginative and playful storytelling and bookmaking.
- $250: THE BLANK: Flip a letter over and make it blank
College access. Three one-on-one college essay writing sessions for a high school senior.
- $300: THE CONFER: Consult the dictionary for one turn
Family Night. Include parents and guardians in their children's education during bilingual info sessions with childcare and food.
- $400: THE SPURN: Reject an opponent's word (they'll lose these tiles)
The Word Laboratory. Supplies for the successful summer English Language Learners workshop.
- $500: THE WEBSTER: Invent a word (must have definition)
Amplify voices. Publish paperback booklets with the memoirs of Chicago teens.
- Tournament Winner: 3-day passes to Pitchfork Music Festival
- Highest Fundraiser: 3-day passes to Pitchfork Music Festival
More soon to be announced!